WARNING: If Your Child Has One Of These Toys Throw It Away ASAP, Reports of Choking

Strange
kid-choking

Child required to have surgery after playing with these toy, take them away from your kids ASAP!


It’s the toy that has become a sensation all over the country and now it is considered a huge hazard to children. Parents everywhere are now being warned about the famous fidget spinner that everyone loves so much.

Everyone wants a fidget spinner these days, but it may not be the best toy for children anymore. Many say that the spinner was made to help those with short attention spans but thousands have been scrounging for them at stores and online shops.

Now, after a Facebook user posted about her daughters hospitalization due to the fidget spinner it’s causing many to second guess letting their children play with it. Kelly Rose Joniec posted that her daughter accidentally swallowed a fidget spinner and was now in the hospital.

Kelly shared that she was driving home from a swim meet with her daughter when she heard her daughter make a loud unusual noise. She looked back and realized that she was choking because she had accidentally swallowed the fidget spinner.

She was taken by ambulance to Children’s Hospital, and was immediately taken into surgery to have the toy removed from her esophagus. A spokesperson at Texas Children’s Hospital confirmed that the story was true, after many denied it’s authenticity.

Patty Davis, a spokesperson for the Consumer Product Safety Commission released a statement about the toy saying that any small object can be a choking hazard for children and parents should always be cautious.

“We know these toys are very new and gaining in popularity, and we would encourage parents to think about how their child interacts with toys. Do they mouth items? If that’s the case, then this may not be a toy for them.

Keep any toy with small parts away from young children. They can be a choking hazard.”

Read the full story in the segment below:

“We had a pretty eventful Saturday.

On the way home from a fun swim meet, I heard Britton make an odd retching noise in the back seat as I was driving. Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth – she could utter noises but looked panicked so I immediately pulled over. She pointed to her throat saying she’d swallowed something, so I attempted Heimlich but there was no resistance. She said she’d put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and somehow swallowed it.

Frantic, I went straight to urgent care where they checked her for choking. They couldn’t discern where the foreign object was located – along the airway or the esophagus. From there we got the red-light treatment via ambulance 🚑 to Texas Children’s Hospital. X-ray showed the spinner bushing lodged in her esophagus. The GI doctor was fascinated…he’d only just learned of fidget spinners that morning when he was at the mall with his son, so it was a surprise to be faced with one in a case a few hours later. He’s also an advocate for related child safety in toys, so he took a special interest in the case.

After multiple, very stressful attempts to place an IV, Britton was taken to surgery to endoscopically locate and remove the object. Fortunately we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while…not only because of the initial ingestion, but then the concern about the composition and structure of the object, and finally, the risk with general anesthesia.

From this I wish to offer some word of caution to parents. Fidget spinners are the current craze so they are widely distributed. Kids of all ages may be getting them, but not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings. The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids (under 8 yr old) keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard.

[Sidenote: I certainly wasn’t looking for an excuse to tour the brand new Texas Children’s Hospital The Woodlands but this was a pretty effective way. Staff was great and the facility is very nice…but a little quiet on Saturday afternoons.]”

71tVpjpmvL._SL1500_-1-1387x1080
This is so scary! Parents keep a close eye on your young ones!!!

Previous ArticleNext Article